Festival Day 2018 – Time Travellers!
- Saturday 22nd September
- 11am to 5pm
- Recreation Ground, High Street, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge (find out how to get here)
- FREE admission and FREE activities.
Festival Day principal sponsor:
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, Festival day is FREE admission and the attractions are FREE for everyone to enjoy. The 2018 Festival will be opened by the Mayor of Cambridge, Cllr Nigel Gawthrope.
Festival Day 2018 has the theme of Time Travellers!
- Join us for a journey through time and space in the 100 seat planetarium!
- Experience the feeling of weightlessness (like an astronaut) in the gyroscope
- Go prehistoric and meet the dinosaurs including an amazing animatronic dinosaur!
- Watch out for the Daleks. We’ve asked them not to exterminate the Festival visitors. But we’re not sure they can be trusted . . .
The Festival has 5 main areas:
Community Performance Arena
The Community Performance Arena will again be hosted by the wonderful JezO’s and will feature groups and activities from around the locality. Expect music, movement, martial arts and a little bit of magic! The 2018 Arena participants include:
- Arco Iris
- Cherry Hinton Tang Soo Do
- Dedikated ballet school
- Emma Collins School of Irish Dancing
- JezO’s Magic and Laughter Show
- Natyanjali Dance School
- Sanskruti School of Dance
- Teen Fit with MB Academy of Dance
Children’s Activities Marquee
The Children’s marquee includes a collaboration with the Cambridge Science Festival. Full details of the science exhibits will be announced soon. The marquee also includes:
- Messy play for the under 5s with the Cherry Hinton Baptist Church.
- This year, due to popular demand, we will be offering 3 face painting artists: Paula Armstrong, Colour Ahead and Lizzy B’s Face Painting.
- Build magnetic marvels with the official Magformers roadshow.
- Puppet workshop with the Young People’s Puppet Theatre
- Extract DNA from a strawberry with the CRUK Cambridge Centre
Family Sports Area
Have a go at the inflatable sweeper game, climbing wall and bungee trampolines.
Try the Sawston Xtreme sports day games including: Tug-o-war, Egg & Spoon, Space Hoppers, Relay Races, Bean Bag Throwing, Skipping and the 3 Legged Race.
Test your skills with batak, buzzwire and giant garden games.
Want to learn to skate? Then join Skates and Ladders on the skate ramp. Do to popular demand we will have two instructors giving lessons this year! Improve your skills, gain confidence and learn to skate safely. Boards and safety gear provided.
Hosted by Cambridge 105
We have five brilliant acts to treat your ears on Festival Day!
The Electron Thieves
A Cambridge-based rock band, playing covers which stray beyond traditional dad-rock into pastures new and unexpected.
Phil Watts – 80s unplugged
Singer, musician, songwriter, member of Back to the 80’s band.
The Hopeless Causes are a fantastic 6 piece Country/folk/Celtic/Indie band that play a very lively energetic and diverse set more akin to a barn dance/ceilidh band lineup includes violin, mandolin, banjo, guitar. Covers include: Johnny Cash, The Pogues, Dexys, Shania Twain, Steve Earle, The Dubliners, The Verve, Elbow, Dolly Parton, First Aid KIt and much more.
We have a wonderful, musical exhibit for you to enjoy called Play the Rig. Designed by professional musicians, The Rig is a musical soundscape combining percussion, creativity and musical exploration. Suitable for ages 1 to 100!
Relax and enjoy the music with food and drink from our refreshment area:
- Banquet Inn Bar
- Caffe Mobile
- Cherry Hinton Lions Football Club BBQ
- Kura Kura
- Verrecchia Ice Cream
- Warm & Toastie
As always, we have a great selection of stalls. Come and find out more about our community groups and maybe be inspired to join a club. Visit the fundraising stalls to support some local good causes. Or just enjoy yourself browsing the craft stalls and the wide variety of different wares on offer from small traders. More stalls to be confirmed!
- Anderson Group
- Annabelle Silver Jewellery
- Cambridge Army Cadet Force
- Cambridge City Council Streets and Open Spaces
- Cambridgeshire Family Chiropractic Centre
- Cambridge Lady Cake
- Charms and Nails
- Cherry Hinton Baptist Church
- Cherry Hinton Tang Soo Do
- Cherry Hinton Village Leisure Centre
- Christine Newman Patchwork
- Colville Primary School
- Dances With Rain (crystal / gemstone jewellery)
- Darwin Nurseries
- Forever Living
- Friends of Cherry Hinton Brook
- Garden Organics
- George’s Bakery
- Global Justice Cambridge
- Marie Curie
- Maureen’s Jewellery
- Mr Smith’s Sweets
- Other Side Silly
- Royal British Legion
- SERVSC Bloodrunners
- St Andrew’s Church
- St John’s Players
- Sue Ryder
- The Wildlife Trust BCN
- Whytchrose Endeavours
- Wood Green, The Animals Charity
- 27th Cambridge Scouts